Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Catoctin 50K Recap -- The Beast in the East

I have started, stopped, erased, started, forgot, been reminded to complete and now finished this race recap over the past month or so. It's a complicated one that would be far too long to hold anyone's interest, if I truly did justice to all the twists (paths and ankles) and turns of this race. So, stay with me as best you can.

The Catoctin 50K is billed as a hot, technically difficult, hilly test of human endurance (but "only" 50K). I've run 15 marathons and four 50Ks and this was the first race I ever seriously considered backing out of for fear that I would not be able to finish. The race website reads like those warnings accompanying rollercoasters--do not ride if you are pregnant, have a heart condition, are sane, wish to live to see your children grow old etc . . . But, hey, it was also billed as a small, collegial, well-run race designed for true ultra-lovers where support and camaraderie were widespread and pity given to none.

I woke at 5:00am, dressed, ate and left Washington, DC at 6:00am for the 1 hour drive to north of Frederick, Maryland to the start at Gambrill State Park (The Tea Room, to be exact). Arriving at 7:10 am (8:00 am start time), I was able to get a good parking space and access to the one bathroom before a line formed. This is a small race of only 150 runners, so any lines are short. The bib pick-up and pre-race prep is more akin to a family reunion in its casualness and familiarity. I knew no-one there, but conversation was plentiful and relaxed (denial regarding the day ahead, I suppose).

The day was surprisingly cool with temps in the high 60s to low 70s, though that would change as the morning wore on (I don't think we ever hit 90, but mid-80s by early afternoon were a thing). I collected my gear and made some final wardrobe adjustments--under armor shorts, shirt from Chicago marathon (my shirt least likely to chafe), calf compression socks, Newton Boca Sol shoes, 2 20oz hand held water bottles with one emergency gel and iphone in arm band [Note: since an earlier ultra that took 90 minutes longer to complete than I had estimated, I am formally prohibited by my wife to run ultras without some way for her to reach me].

At about 7:50am, Race Director Kevin Sayers climbed a small ladder in the middle of the parking lot and announced that we were all insane gave us a variety of helpful instructions on avoiding death and enjoying the day. He waxed poetically until someone told him in a friendly way to shut up, at which time he shrugged and yelled "GO!" Fortunately I had my water bottles in hand and we headed through the parking lot to add a 1/4 mile to the overall distance thin out the pack before we headed onto single track trails.

The first 1/2 mile or so is a steep downhill that's a fun rock hop until it hits you that this is also mile 31 on the way back. Sigh. Staying in the moment, though, I found myself in the middle of the pack moving more slowly than I could have, but reminding myself that was a good thing with a long day ahead. We had about 6 miles to the first aide station roughly half downhill and half up. The runners around me were all friendly, though conversation was limited by the need to pay close attention to every step--there are very few rock-free spots on this course.

I was fast on the downhills and passed several runners I suspect who were running their first ultra or trail run and being extremely cautious on the uneven trail.

[A quick aside about expectations and pacing. I had run four 50K races before with my best finish being 5:30 at the DC Northface. I knew the Catoctin would put that race to shame from a difficulty standpoint, so was roughly calculating a 7:00 finish time, which would put me in the top 50]

At about mile 2, I was formally baptized in the cult of the Catoctin when screams cut through the forest ahead. Two runners ahead of me yelled back something about a swarm of bees and took off into the woods giving the trail a wide berth. I followed them. A runner behind me did not and was soon jumping up and down and slapping his arms. We continued to yell "look out for bees" as long as we thought runners could hear us, but still, the occasional scream followed us in the distance.

The hills are relentless and the first 6 miles are a good microcosm of the overall race featuring steep ups and downs that quickly tame any idea of pushing the pace. A kick to the gut occurred at the crest of one such hill, when after running for what seemed an hour, a small sign denoting 3 miles back to the Gambrill Tea Room can be spotted taunting runners from a tree. Only halfway to the first aide station and 28-29 miles to go (no one seems to know just how far this race actually is). Fortunately, at about mile 5 the trail levels out a bit and a smooth jog into the first aide station is possible.

Our friend, race Director Kevin, is there with words of encouragement and the occasional quip about how people used to run into the aide stations back in his day. A couple delicious PBJ squares, some water and thanks to the amazing volunteers (who only get more amazing as the race goes on) two refilled water bottles (actually filled with Gatorade) and off I went. Someone described this next 3 mile stretch as the "flat" portion of the race and I suppose if one views a Housewife of Orange County as less self-obsessed than a Kardashian, then sure this could be the flat part of the race.

There is no question this section of the trail is wider and includes forest "roads", as well as a couple sharp turns that require very careful attention to the blue blazes that mark the Catoctin Trail. I was saved twice by eagle-eyed runners just ahead of me and made a strong mental note to remember this stretch on the way back when runners were likely to be even more spread out and I could not count on following someone. I can tell you that the 2nd aide station appears our of the trees, so much sooner than one expects. More PBJ, a handful of Pringles, water, refills on Gatorade and off.

This last stretch before the turnaround is 3 miles of flat and uphill followed by 3 miles down to the creek and the turnaround. I found myself near another runner and we traded places for the next few miles smiling each time one of us passed the other knowing the opposite would likely happen again shortly. He was a little quicker on the downhills and I was faster uphill. I had finally overtaken him after a particularly rocky stretch and was enjoying the first flat, dirt-only stretch of the race at mile 13 when for no explainable reason I rolled my left ankle and went down in a heap. I got up quickly and walked a few careful steps, but then had to bend over to catch my breath and not throw up. Damn, that hurt. My friend caught up to me and asked if I was okay. I waved him on knowing I could hobble to the next aide station in a worst case scenario.

After a minute or so, I started walking and after another minute began a slow jog. My ankle was sore but seemed to be holding up and a surprise awaited me at about mile 13.5--an unofficial aide station. Armed with beer, whiskey and who knows what else, a brave band of friends to the Catoctin 50K had set up shop and were refilling water bottles and assuring runners it was all downhill from here--which it actually was.

Over 2.5 miles of downhill running was next. I would have enjoyed it more if my ankle didn't still hurt and I didn't take my first face plant of the day. Unlike the second face plant of the day which occurred much later in the race, no blood was drawn here--and until this race recap no one even knew it happened. To distract myself I started counting runners going the other way to get a sense of where I stood (which I admit may have had something to do with the subsequent face plant). By the time I sloshed into the creek to soak my sore ankle in the cool water at mile 16, I estimated I was around 40th. And, my time was 3:20. Not bad, so far. PBJ, lots of water (it was getting hot) and back up the hill for 2.5 miles. Yup, it was as bad as it sounds.

Walking...Up....Hill. There's no way around it unless you are an elite ultra runner. And I even caught a few of the leaders walking stretches of this 2.5 miles. There's not much to say except it does end and there's less than 14 miles to go when  you get to the top. Shortly after leaving the unofficial aide station for the second time, I realized I'd made an error in my fueling. Instead of replacing water with water in one of my handhelds, I'd replaced Gatorade with water leaving me with only water for the 3+ miles to the next station. Not a crisis by any means, but with the heat beating down, I really needed the carbs and electrolyte replenishment. A mile short of the aide station my stomach was grumbling and I was cursing my stupidity, when it occurred to me that the bump in the hand strap of my right water bottle was in fact the emergency gel I'd put there in case I needed it. Damn, I'm brilliant--eventually.

That gel was like a shot of adrenaline and I arrived at the 23-ish mile aide station feeling like I just might finish this thing. BUT, man did those chairs look inviting. Being the good volunteers they were though, no one suggested I take a seat and rest up. Instead they were full of helpful comments like, "you know you can take that cup with you as you go. If you want to start walking, away, from here, towards the finish line...now" I took the hint and left.

The three miles to the final aide station were strong. Despite the prior aide station volunteers best efforts to keep me moving, I had been able to catch my breath and eaten and hydrated well. I passed a couple runners during this stretch and even ran some of the uphills. I also re-rolled my ankle for the second of what would be three times resulting in a NSFW expletive or two.

The final 6 miles turned out to be some of the most eventful of the day. The hills were steeper than I'd recalled from the morning. I learned later from a runner 5 minutes behind me that I passed right by a rattlesnake. And, I took an epic face plant skidding across tree roots and rocks that left gashes on both thighs and an arm. All that being said, I felt relatively good during this stretch and based on the fact that I passed no one and was passed by no one, kept a good steady pace. The final 1/4 mile is among the most challenging, as you have to climb back up to the Gambrill Park Tea Room, but knowing the end is near is all the incentive you need.

I crossed the line in 7:12 (37th place out of 140). Kevin was there to hand me my CAT Card. I finished with a sense of accomplishment I had not felt since my first marathon. The Catoctin 50K lived up to its reputation. I may be back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment