Monday, October 26, 2015

2015 Marine Corp Marathon Recap

Well, this is a first. A recap for a race I did not finish. Frustrating.

Cool weather, coupled with a security scrum that was an epic fail by the otherwise efficient and excellently organized Marines, resulted in me missing the start by over 10 minutes with no time for bathroom breaks or stretching. I and thousands of other runners stood almost motionless at the security checkpoints for over an hour.

So, started ahout ten minutes and 30 seconds after the gun with the 4:30 pace group instead of the 3:15 group as planned. First mile was slow due to passing runners and having to move side to side. Second mile suffered same challenges, as well as the hill in Arlington. Miles 3-4 were much faster downhill into GTown, though crossing Key Bridge was slow as the runners bunched up. After mile 5 stopped to say hi to my son for longer than I should have but I really appreciated him getting up early and biking across the city. First 5K ended up being about 8:00/mile pace, a good 30 seconds slower than planned/hoped for.

Going up Rock Creek Park, it opened up and I was able to run closer to pace. Took first gel after mile 6. 10 K time was 7:56/mile. After mile 7 on way back down Rock Creek started to sense a tightening in my right achilles, which seemed worse on the side-slanted roadway. By mile 10 by Kennedy Center, calf/achilles was getting worse, but at least there was running room.

I still seemed to be passing people as I entered West Potomac. But by the blue mile, a limp had developed affecting pace and gait. At mile 14, mentally the race became a 4 mile run to mile 18 where my wife was planning on cheering me on. My pace was further slowed by poor hydration coming into mile 16, as I was focused on a bathroom break--remember no time to per before starting--and stretching my calf. I still should have drunk more at halfway point.

By mile 17 the small limp was a full on limp and the race was lost. Two year ago I finished the Marine Corps with a broken bone in my foot, so you know I did not want to stop. But, I know my body well enough to know when I'm risking longer term injury. At 18.3 miles, I called it and stepped to the sidelines. My run was over.

No 5 year streak, but I'll be back.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. The 20th MCM was Malinda's 1st marathon in 1995 and the 40th MCM was her 1st DNF.

    ReplyDelete